Mr. Michael Podraza
Recent Emails to the EGHS Community
Good morning. The first of three State tests for RI High Schools, the SAT, will be held on 4/9/2019. This school day administration of the SAT is for 11th grade, EGHS students only. Students in other grades, or who attend other schools are not eligible to participate.
The Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) has provided guidance to parents and guardians in regards to the sharing of data from this administration of the SATs. Please click here to be taken to the SAT privacy letter provided by RIDE. This and other resources from RIDE regarding the SAT or PSAT can be found at http://www.ride.ri.gov/sat.
If you have any specific questions or concerns regarding the SAT and your child, please contact your child's guidance counselor.
Have a great day.
Good afternoon. I hope you all had a wonderful February vacation. Just sending this email to inform/remind the members of the EGHS Community of the various events occurring at EGHS throughout the upcoming month of March. While not an exhaustive list, these events have the potential to effect the normal operations of the school day and/or tend to involve extensive numbers of the EGHS community.
- Friday March 1: SurveyWorks portal for EGHS parents and guardians opens. Access codes will be sent to parent/guardian emails on file in ASPEN.
- Monday March 4th: Mid-quarter 3 (Day 22 of 45)
- Wednesday March 6th: Students complete SurveyWorks in Advisory
- Wednesday March 13th & Thursday March 14th: EGHS Talent Show 7 PM
- Friday March 15th: No School. Professional Development Day at EGHS
- Thursday March 21st: EGHS Blood Drive
- Thursday March 28th: Youth At-Risk Behavior Survey (Randomly selected classes only- notice sent once classes selected)
- Friday March 29th: Humanities World War I Debate (Sophomores)
- Course selection for SY 19-20 begins soon. We are looking to do student course requests and teacher recommendations for SY 19-20 on-line directly through ASPEN. If you would like to get a head start planning for next year, the Program of Studies for SY 19-20 can be found by clicking here. It will also be posted on the EGHS portion of EGSD.NET
Have a great rest of the day and week.
Good afternoon. I am emailing you all this afternoon to let you know about a unique opportunity that will be made available to EGHS students on Thursday during advisory. Mrs. Scarlett Lewis, founder of the "Jessie Lewis Choose Love Movement" and member of the President's Federal Council on School Safety, will be at EGHS delivering her presentation to students, faculty and staff. In her presentation Mrs. Lewis discusses how her experiences as a parent who lost a son at Sandy Hook, as well as her son's actions in 2012, led to her relentless pursuit to make schools safer through social and emotional learning (SEL).
While this is a very busy time of year at EGHS with midterm exams, the close of the 2nd quarter, the upcoming performances of "Newsies" and so much more, I ask that you please encourage your child to consider attending this optional assembly on Thursday during advisory.
If you would like to learn more about Mrs. Scarlett Lewis and/or the Jessie LewisChoose Love campaign please visit www.jesselewischooselove.org
I thank you in advance for your help and support. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
Good morning and Happy New Year. I hope this email finds you well. Below you will find some information regarding events occurring at EGHS, including the midterm exam schedule, a new rotation of periods for the 2nd Semester, and an opportunity to watch Avenger athletics both live and as digital recordings.
- SY 18-19 Midterm Exam Schedule- Please click here.
- NEW "Days" in 2nd Semester Schedule- With the start of the second semester we will have a new rotation of periods. While we currently run A Days, B Days and C Days, in the second semester the following "Days" (and corresponding periods) will run:
- “D Day”- 2/3/4/5/6
- “E Day”- 7/1/Advisory/2/3
- “F Day”- 4/5/6/7/1 (Tentative start on 1-25-2019)
- Teachers and advisors will review the new rotations with students and the morning announcements will continue to inform students of the rotation of the day.
- View Avenger Athletics Online- Many EGHS varsity and junior varsity competitions are now on the NFHS network. Please click here to go to the EGHS main page on the NFHS website to see both recorded and live streaming events.
- EGHS Theatre Program Proudly Present NEWSIES! Come see over 100 students perform in this production! Ticket prices for students are $12 and can be purchased at EGHS during all 3 lunches and will be sold at the door. Showtimes are:
- Thursday January 10th and Friday January 11th at 7pm
- Saturday January 12th at 1pm & 7pm
- Trying to look ahead and plan for future months? A yearlong document of "Major Events for SY 18-19" can be found by clicking here.
- With winter comes the increased potential for school cancellations and early dismissals. Sign up for RI Broadcasters Alerts at http://www.ribroadcasters.com. You can also find instructions to sign up for the Principal's text messages regarding EGHS (used only for the most critical events) by clicking here.
- Food for thought
- Containing results, recommendations and resources- the 2017 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) from the RI Department of Health can now be found at http://www.health.ri.gov/flipbook/YRBSResults2017.php#book/
My best to you and your family for a happy and healthy 2019.